Saturday, August 11, 2007

POLITICAL LUV HANGOVER: HOW I'M MANAGING MY OBAMA FEVER

This article cross-filched from the
"Why Are Black Women Angry?" blog.

POLITICAL LUV HANGOVER:

HOW I'M MANAGING MY OBAMA FEVER

When I began feverishly blogging about 6 months ago, some of my first posts dealt with the presidential candidacy of Senator Barack Obama (D-Illinois). Obviously, I was smitten with him then as a candidate for President. However, now, I am really drinking the Obama Kool-Aid!

I know that there are those who might be quick to say the main reason I'm so "ga-ga" over Senator Obama is because he is Black. I'm not going to lie - for me - that's just mere icing on the cake. But let's be clear; if he were white, with his type of credentials and energy, I can honestly say I would also be supportive of his candidacy.


Why does the Black part serve as the icing on my political cake? Because have you seen the drama that is about to unfold with Flavor of Love and the upcoming Comedy Central Roast of Flava Flav - featured on CNNMoney.com mind you ?

YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are in desperate need of the balancing factor a Barack Obama brings to the American cultural mainstream.

As a Black man and as an African American, Senator Obama reminds the rest of the world that all Black folks do not have to act like buffoons to get attention. He and his wife Michelle and the rest of their family are the embodiment of the class and cultural balance that exists within the African American community. Let's face it - Black or white - everybody can't go to Harvard Law School to get a law degree and serve as editor-in-chief of the Harvard Law Review.

If it were left up to a predominantly white male organized and controlled media - they'd have the rest of the world thinking all Black folks acted like Flava Flav and the infamous "New York."

Recently, Senator Obama was on the cover of Vibe Magazine. Before now, I bought Vibe Magazine two times. The first time was in the 80's when Spike Lee was the guest editor interviewing Rev. Al Sharpton with Sharpton cussin' like a sailor (this was the beginning of my starting to see pastors as just plane ol' human beings). The second time, Janet Jackson was on the cover (I've always been a big Janet Jackson fan. Besides we're the same age - I need something to aspire to.) Then, I had to get the one with my "political honey" on the cover.

I really enjoyed the interview. His grace, charm, intellect, wisdom and humility are undeniable. Now, thanks to the level-headedness of his wife, not for one moment do I think this man is perfect. However, I can only admire him more due to the amount of respect, deference and love he obviously has for his wife. Plus, he's not afraid to admit that he needs her. In the words of the famed rap female group of the 80's, Salt n' Peppa: What a man, what a man, what a man, what a mighty good man!

There are two items about the Vibe article that stood out for me. The first was how Obama stood by his comments concerning how some rappers and rap music were "degrading their sisters." On top of that, he stood by what he said despite the criticism:

I stand by exactly what I said, which was that the degrading comments about women that Imus said is language that we hear not just on the radio, not just in music. We ourselves perpetuate this, and we all have to take responsibility for that.

Gotta love that - a man being a man!

The second item that stuck out for me was Rev. Sharpton's comments concerning Obama having a weakness as being a candidate without a cause: "I want to see a strong stand on issues that concern people," Sharpton said.

All I can say to that is Obama must be doing something right because if he wasn't, the likes of Al Sharpton wouldn't have a dog on thing to say about him.

Well...and that's that. I join the millions of other potential female voters who have a crush on Obama. Although I do have a confession...Obama is not my first. About 20 years ago, I felt the same way about General Colin Powell.

Oh well, my daughter has Chris Brown, I have Obama. I say let me have my political crush moment.

No comments: